EDUCATION, SKILLS & LIFELONG LEARNING
In West Lothian:
- Commissioned a new Primary School for Pumpherston and Uphall Station.
- Committed to a new Primary School for Breich.
- Completely refurbished Meldrum Primary, James Young High School, and St Kentigern's Academy.
- Reduced class sizes in Primary One to Three: 36% of these classes now have 18 or fewer children in them.
- Completed the new Armadale and Deans High Schools.
- Completed Bankton, Linlithgow and Williamston Primary Schools.
- In 2009/2010 provided 649 Modern Apprenticeships in West Lothian - 35% more than Labour in their last year in power.
- Kept Higher Education free.
- Abolished the Graduate Endowment.
- No tuition fees.
- Protected the Education Maintenance Allowance.
- Reduced primary class sizes, including Primary 1 to 3, to a record low - lower than at any time under Labour.
- Completed 330 school building projects, nearly a third more than Labour promised.
- 110,000 of 260,000 children left in unsatisfactory accommodation by Labour have been moved to new schools.
- In 2009/2010, provided over 20,000 Modern Apprenticeships across Scotland - one fifth more than Labour in their last year in power.
Compare this with what is happening in England where Labour and Tory/LibDem administrations have seen University tuition Fees rising to £9,000 per year and Education Maintenance Allowance abolished - disadvantaging students in greatest need.
In West Lothian:
- St John's Hospital revitalised with new and improved services including:
- £8 million investment in short-stay surgical unit.
- £3.3 million investment in endoscopy unit.
- Enhanced maternity services.
- New services in urology.
- New elective orthopaedics.
- Green light prostate treatment.
- Implementation of bowel cancer screening programme.
- 198 more nurses in the Lothians than when Labour was in power.
- Average outpatient waiting times reduced by 20 days from 48 to 28 days.
- Average inpatient waiting times reduced by 12 days from 50 to 38 days.
- 14% more NHS dentists in the Lothians - increased from 422 to 480 in the Lothians.
- Prescription charges abolished.
- Waiting times at a record low.
- Meeting the target for all cancer patients to be treated within 62 days of GP referral - Labour never met this target once in six years.
- Set a new target of 31 days and met it a year ahead of schedule.
- Increasing the number of nurses working in the NHS in Scotland by 1336 since taking over from Labour.
- More NHS staff at the end of Scottish Government's term in office than there were under Labour.
- Almost 20% more NHS dentists in Scotland.
In West Lothian:
- 248 new Council Houses have been built under Scottish Government with funding in place for another 552. During 8 years of Labour rule, not a single Council House was built in West Lothian.
- Last year there were 33% more council houses let in West Lothian than the previous year.
- The number of affordable homes being built under the Scottish Government in Scotland is the highest for 30 years.
- The Scottish Government Government built 83% more social housing in the last year than Labour did in their last year in power.
- The Scottish Government has also kick-started council house building across Scotland after Labour let it wither away.
- In three years, the Scottish Government delivered over 700 council houses - Labour delivered only 6 in their last 3 years in power!
In West Lothian:
- The Scottish Government has delivered 214 new police officers in the Lothians and Borders.
- Crime has been reduced by 14% in West Lothian since Scottish Government came to power in 2007.
- Across the Lothians knife crime has fallen by 30%.
- Cashback for Communities, Scottish Government's national initiative taking money back from the criminals, has contributed funds to Midnight Football in West Lothian, to Broxburn United's new community football facilities, and to Offbeat Youth Art Project in Craigshill.
- There are now 1190 more police officers in Scotland than when Labour left office.
- Crime has dropped in Scotland by a fifth since Scottish Government came to power - it dropped by less than one twentieth during 8 years of Labour.
- Crime in Scotland is now at its lowest rate for 30 years.
FINANCE & SUSTAINABLE GROWTH
- The Scottish Government has frozen the Council Tax, saving the average Council Tax payer in West Lothian some £300. (Council Tax bills increased by 61% under Labour)
The Small Business Bonus Scheme (SBBS):
- By the end of 2010, in West Lothian 1541 small businesses had their rates cut or abolished entirely under SBBS. Of those 1226 had their rates removed altogether.
- The average saving, in the first two years, for a small business in West Lothian was £2957.
- FSB estimate the SBBS saved 1 in 8 small businesses from closure.
ENVIRONMENT and CLIMATE CHANGE
- In West Lothian, recycling has increased from 35% to 42% under the Scottish Government.
- For Scotland the Scottish Government has set world-leading targets to combat climate change.
- The Scottish Government has given Scotland a vision for the future as a world leader in the development of renewable energy.
- Removed Forth Bridge tolls.
- Completed the re-opening of the Airdrie/Bathgate line.
- Opposed the Lab/Lib/Con waste of £500m on Edinburgh Trams.